Connecticut

Ancient and Modern Towns of Fairfield County Connecticut [click on the maps for a higher resolution picture].  The maps below show the location of town and parish church boundaries in Fairfield County in 1813 and 2021.  To help understand the shifting boundary lines and name changes some history of each town, as it is known today, has been included.
Bethel: once a part of Danbury, Bethel was established in 1855.

Bridgeport: was established in 1821. Located in the western section of the original Stratford Colony on the Fairfield Colony boundary line.  Bridgeport was an expansion of the small town or parish of Stratfield which lay less then a mile west of the port.  Stratfield was the home of Richard Hubball, our immigrant ancestor.

Brookfield: Established in 1788 and constituted out of the towns of Danbury and Newtown in Fairfield County and part of Litchfield County.

Danbury: Established in 1687 out of the Connecticut wilderness.

Easton: Originally known as North Fairfield and part of Weston, it was formed in 1845.

Fairfield: One of the original Colonies of Connecticut founded in 1639.  In 1666 all of the towns and parishes outlined in green were incorporated into Fairfield County.

Kent: part of what became Litchfield County, it was formed out of the Connecticut wilderness in 1739.

Monroe: Established in 1823 out of the northern part of Huntington (now called Shelton).

New Canaan: Formed in 1801 out of the northern portions of Norwalk and Stamford.

New Fairfield: Established in 1740 out of the Connecticut wilderness.

Newtown:  Established in 1711 out of the Connecticut wilderness.

Norwalk: One of the original Colonies of Connecticut, it was founded in 1651

Redding or Reading: Established in 1767.

Ridgefield: Constituted in 1709 out of the Connecticut wilderness.

Huntington: Established in 1789 out of Stratford. Name changed to Shelton in 1919. The area called Ripton is now part of Shelton.

Sherman: Constituted out of New Fairfield in 1802.

Stamford: One of the original Colonies of Connecticut, it was formed in 1641

Stratford: One of the original Colonies of Connecticut, it was formed in 1639.  At one point Stratford had extended its original boundaries to include the towns of Trumbull, and Huntington.

Unity/North Stratford/Trumbull: The residents of North Stratford around Nickol’s Farm were granted a parish charter in 1725 and was named Unity. In 1744 Unity merged with the Long Hill parish (just to the northwest of Unity) to become the Society of North Stratford.  The parish was granted full town rights in 1797 and was renamed Trumbull.

Weston: Established in 1787 out of Fairfield.

Wilton: Established in 1802 out of Norwalk.


Church Records:

*Church of Christ in Unity and North Stratford Records:  Renamed Trumbull in 1797.  Records from 1731 to 1808

 

Grace Church P.E. at Long Hill (part of Trumbull according to church records in the 19th century but now part of Shelton): The cemetery is located in modern day Shelton;  records start 1829.  Lewis (ME1472 or 690: some confusion with this family), Mary Jane, Rebecca, Harriet.

 

*Norfield Church (Weston) Records: The church (parish) was established in 1757, Weston was established in 1787 out of Fairfield.

Volume 1: Hannah Drew (ME534), Isaac (ME534), Elen Downs (ME1378), Eliza (ME1379), Jane (ME1380), Ebenezer (ME170), Mary.

Volume 2&3: Isaac, Hannah, Elen Downs, Elizabeth, Ebenezer, Mary, Hubbel Ewell.

 

*North Fairfield Church Records: The church (parish) was established in 1762 from a portion of the Stratford and Fairfield Colonies and was originally a part of Weston. In 1845 North Fairfield split off from Weston and become Easton.

Volume 1: Abijah (ME91), Timothy (ME89), Seth (ME303), Nathaniel (ME438), Stephen (ME437), Orange, Charles, Mrs. Patison H Hubbell.

Volume 2: Abiah?, Abigal (ME439), Mary (ME305), Isaac, Cate (ME747), Rhoda (ME1167), O. Hubbell, Laura O Hubbell, Lillian Hubbell Parrack, Zachariah (ME315), Henry S.

 

 

 

The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol 38 (CT Hubbells only): New Fairfield (Sherman), CT Marriages: Ephraim, Hepsibah, Shadrack, William Gaylord, Amos, Abigail, Amanda, Polly and Urana Hubbell.

The Illustrated Gazetteer and Business Book of Connecticut for 1857-1858: contains 35 individual Hubbells or Hubbell operated companies listed by occupation and location.

History of Danbury, Connecticut 1684-1896 by James Bailey-1896: Luman L. Hubbell (ME#984?); Capt. Samuel Hubbell; Noah Hubbell; Rev James W. Hubbell; Hubbell Wildman.

History of the Towns of New Milford by Orcutt 1702 to 1883: Numerous Hubbells.

Fairfield, Connecticut-historical papers with lots of Hubbles-CT-1700s

Featuring Recent Posts WordPress Widget development by YD